View post (surgery scheduled)

View thread

Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
03/12/2021 9:17 am

It's been a long few months of pain and not playing my instruments, but I now have Carpal Tunnel surgery scheduled in a couple weeks, for my left hand/wrist. I have done all the things and this is the only option left.

The pain in my fingers and palm and wrist have been really intense and there are a growing number of things that are too painful to do, like cook and do dishes. I will be so glad to get this over with.

The dr thinks 4-6 weeks of recovery and after week 6 I should even be able to play again.

I have been making some lemonade out of these lemons though. I have been playing my ukulele with my good hand and writing music (etudes) for just the picking hand. I wrote 10 of them and have painted corresponding paintings for each one. So now I'll be working on actually self publishing a book of them. The sample one I played in my weekly Zoom uke group went over really well.

I was hoping to work on my guitar fingerpicking skills as well but it's too difficult to tune the guitar with my left hand. So...it just sits for now. I may start back up with my electric guitar when I can physically play again.

At first I was really dismayed by the prospect of surgery but now the pain is so bad I'm just ready for the relief. (Assuming it works!) It should work though as the steroid injection worked for about a week and the surgery will follow parallel to that and have the same effect, but permanently.

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor