View post (Lead vs Rhythm - only guitar?)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
03/08/2021 3:44 pm
Originally Posted by: snojones

My take is that the way guitar has been used in Rock and Roll has effected the way people look at the instrument. When the Beatles first came out the press described their part in that sound was as George - Lead guitar, John - Rhythm guitar. Most every band since then, has been promoted with the same distinctions on what they do. Even though the best of them play both lead and rhythm at the same time. Hendrix is still revered for excelling at both. Beck, Johnson, a Bonamassa all come to mind in this regard.

I agree; however, the distinction goes further back. My association with R&R starts almost at its beginnings. At least that far back, many if not most bands, especially local un-signed groups, were drums and three guitars; lead, rhythm and bass (maybe a sax or keyboard in the mix... in the earliest days, upright bass handled the duty until bass guitars made their move)

At least... that's what I think I remember.

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins