View post (Beginner need help choosing electric guitar)

View thread

matonanjin2
matonanjin2
03/04/2021 5:17 pm

@connda, welcome to you and good luck. This is from another member of the "older than dirt, retired and bored" club. But no longer bored since I took up the guitar in retirement.

Since your favorite guitarist is Hendrix I appreciate your wanting to get an electric. And I don't want to be discouraging but finding an electric "in the $200 range" is going to be very challenging. Keep in mind with an electric guitar you still need an amp. I don't know if your $200 quote is what you planned on spending juston the guitar realizing you still need an amp or if that is your entire budget.

To start I would check with your local store and see if they have any starter packages. I got back to guitar in retirement after decades of not playing. Santa brought me a Yamaha Pacifica kit, with amp. It is a really nice playing guitar and I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to recommend it to a beginner. I was not too much over your budget. I am guessing approaching $300. (Santa never told me!) Actually, this is my kit at Guitar Center.. My guitar is a burst rather than black but otherwise identical.

Sweetwater has thisFender Squire package for very close to your budget ($219). I fully realize that you can't order from them without incurring the import duties but maybe your local store has something similar.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45