View post (Another Katana lover.)

View thread

mjgodin
mjgodin
02/20/2021 8:16 pm

About a year ago I posted my first technical question to Lisa McCormick about something I didn't understand in Fundamentals 2 and asked if it was ok to move on because I had no high expectations for this new hobby. I would have been content sitting on my porch just strumming some open chords on an old acoustic.

Flash forward a year and I now have an upgraded newer electric acoustic, an electric Telecaster and now I just purchased a Boss Katana 50 to go with it all. Oh and I went back and completed GF2 thoroughly this time. Man how did this all happen? I guess I'm hooked now. so I had to spend some time getting to know this machine. I've got it pretty much all figured out. Installed the ToneCentral software on my PC and can now build and import my own tone libraries from custom patches on Boss's website and even found an online site that has other users custom patches. I'll put a link below if anyone is interested. I also know how to create and save my own tones although being a novice I'm not too sure of what I'm doing in that area. So far I figured out that a clean setting, EQ's at noon, dime the master volume, add a little bit of reverb and delay and then work the gain and preamp volume as needed is a good start. After that I'm clueless, but that's where the tone library comes into play. I know it's the lazy mans way of doing it, but I believe a wise GT Instructor once said not to spend too much time turning knobs and more time practicing the guitar and I couldn't agree more Christopher, but man is this thing fun to play around with.

While I'm getting better at the electric, I still love acoustic and this was an added bonus. It has a setting for Acoustic. It's probably simulated, but I'm sure there are many tones out there for that as well. It just makes it that much more versatile. For example, this morning I was learning the song Rebel Rouser. It has both acoustic rythym and electric lead parts. I was just switching between both channel settings for my acoustic tone and my country electric tone that I have saved and learning and playing both parts without having to switch guitars or amps around.

I highly recommend, even to all beginners if your looking for a good starter amp don't let this one intimidate you. It's a bit of a learning curve if you have no experience with amps I know, but it will be worth it once your comfortable with it cause it's an amp you won't outgrow. Some have stated you can even gig with this. Plus it doesn't hurt to get a little familiar with tones and settings.

Here is the link as I said to tons of guitar patches for anyone who uses this and other modelling amps. All free and easy to load in to your library. Most of them are in .tsl format so no need to unzip or extract them. Have fun.

https://guitarpatches.com/index.php

Moe