View post (advice on locking tuners)

View thread

Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
02/20/2021 10:18 am

I've been thinking about putting locking tuners on my acoustic guitar and am wondering what kinds of things I should be considering. I'd like to go to the guitar store with a little bit of knowledge of them and any first hand knowledge from anyone would be helpful.

Because my left hand is out of commission for quite awhile I have been writing short etudes to work on my fingerpicking skills. I mostly wrote and played for the ukulele this past week because it was easier to tune with my left hand. But I just don't have the strength or dexterity in my left hand to tune the guitar which was a problem when I was trying to stay in standard tuning or experiment with alternate tunings. I had to just give up and focus only on the ukulele.

But it looks like this left hand is not going to be able to do much for quite some time and I really miss the guitar. So I was thinking that locking tuners might be perfect since I could have someone else tune it for me before I play. I just have no idea what to look for or what to consider. I have an Ibanez Acoustic Guitar (AC3400PN). And do locking tuners really keep the tuning in place for awhile?

Thanks for any info. I had a corisone shot in my left wrist a few days ago...some things are better like the stabbing ice pick pains in my fingers but still quite a bit of pain overall and loss of motion. I have an MRI of it this morning and then I'll talk with doc again next week.

I'm trying to stay positive and it has really helped to write these short etudes, even if it is just for the ukulele right now. It gives me something to work on that I can actually play. I have been playing with alternate tunings to get different sounds. And already, my fingerpicking has improved with the uke as I am now using my ring finger more ...before it was super lazy and left it all for the other fingers to do. And I could really use improvement on my guitar fingerpicking.

Thanks again for any info. Here's one of the etudes I've written and played or the ukulele (slow tempo, it's nice and relaxing).. This gives you an idea of what I'm looking to do on the guitar... (Also, new cat is in the audience!) There's a couple more orginal etudes on there as well. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlE7zqQcJBQ

Susan

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor