View post (Red Hot)

View thread

Slow Diver
Slow Diver
01/08/2003 9:19 am
Hey, I recently watched Red Hot in Moscow and I was really amazed. I mean John played really sloppy, he missed strings and his soloing was far from virtuoso shredding, but WHO GIVES A F#UCK ABOUT THAT? It was fact that the band played with a great feeling and emotion and the crowd enjoyed to the max the performance. I think that only guitarists are paying attention to technique and perfection of performance and the other people who are not that much into guitar do not care at all about wheather the guitarist missed a note here or there.
The same goes with Nirvana, Kurt was a terrible player, he did not even always manage to turn his distorsion on time, but nobody cares about that, except other guitar players.
These things made me think a lot of about playing guitar in general. As I have been always very meticulous about my technique I become to realize that it is not at all the most importanat thing. I think that players like Kurt and John are cursed mainly by guitarists who have wasted their lives playing scales at 1200 bpm and find it offensive and perverse people who hardly have plyed any scales in their lives to become stars.
Remeber, music is not made only to be listened by musicians.
What do you think, should one waste his life, just to please the guitar professors at Berklee and Git or should he spend his time figuring out original stuff at the expense of perfect technique?
The world is loaded, it's lit to pop, nobody is gonna stop!