View post (adding picking into strumming)

View thread

Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
01/25/2021 12:03 am

I'm hoping you can point me in the right direction....

I've been trying to learn how to add some random fingerpicking into my strumming patterns (with a pick). I learned this from somewhere on the web but I'm not sure if I'm doing it right and wanted to know if you could point in the direction of any tutorials on here that cover this.

I want to just pick out individual notes here and there while I'm strumming, based on notes in each particular chord. There's a systematic way you can do it (I think) and but I like doing it at random, hitting the high strings (trying to alternate the picking direction) in this example in my video. (posting so you can get an idea of what I'm talking about.) I'm even trying to add this sort of thing in my ukulele playing.

Am I on the right track at least? Do I want to just pick notes out of each chord, making sure I'm just striking something that's actually in that chord? Thanks for any tips and if you can point me in the direction of any lessons that cover this that would be great, too. I don't know, does it have an actual name?

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor