View post (Electric guitar for worship music? or Acoustic?)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
01/11/2021 3:22 pm
Originally Posted by: RD Wakefield

I am wondering if electric guitar is too much for worship or should I learn acoustic instead?

[/quote]

Depends on your goal. I do find that for most worship music and particularly if you're a little suspect on more current music that falls in to the worship category, pretty muh everything can be done on acoustic.

Still; is your goal just to play for personal reasons or to perform/worship team stuff. In reading this thread, it's not super-clear but sounds like you're not part of a church band/worship team deal. But it's not clear.

However, in my (very) small church, we did most everything on acoustic and it's just fine. I did move to a different state so I no longer attend in person. But if you're more in the beginner stage, electric guitard are easier to play.

So your goal drives what the answer is. In short, either will work just find and it might be more a preference.

[quote=RD Wakefield]

As for most of the so called Christian music today in no way glorifies the Lord God, if weighed against the word of God it will show that it is used to worship and glorify man and is nothing more then secular music dressed up to sound like worship music.

This is one of the many reasons why I refuse to attend the Christian gatherings today, for they do not serve and glorify Jesus, they are self serving and have set Satan on the throne and removed Christ from their midst.

Not to get too deep in to the theology and modern society but there is truth the much of Christian worship that is getting away from actual doctrine. Since we did move to a different state, we've been looking for a new local church and it is very, very hard to find one that's not 'feel good' Christianity but also a church where the message connects accurate doctrine to where we are in society today.

Note that I was a Lay Pastor in my old church but truly, I took cues from our pastor (and wonderful friend) who did enlighten me on that folly of 'feel good' doctrine, versus actual accurate biblical interperation.

This did extend to song choices. While our music was a balance with more modern music and more traditional hymn derived content, the decision was to have music that was true.

Which meant nothing from Hillsong!

And to be honest, I find a lot of modern so-called Christian music to be a bit samey and formulaic. My wife will sometimes tune to the Christian station and about four songs in, I still think I'm listening to the same song.

I'm totally ok with conveying an emotion and not be so literal in a song lyric. It's what I like in general for music. Like to mentioned Dylan. That 'picture painting' ability is very useful. It just need to be accurate as well.