View post (Acoustic or Electro Acoustic?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
01/06/2021 9:13 pm
Originally Posted by: midsomernorton

snip ...wondered if it was worth having an electric acoustic so that I can boost certain tones and experiment with effects. Any thoughts?

Concise answer. Yes

This short vid will give you some idea of why. I have pretty much the same e-acoustic rig, minus the Fender name on the headstock. Although I also have a 300W PA with mixer, I use my very portable Acoustasonic 15 at home much of the time. It's great.

Features & local effects of the pre-amp in e-acoustics vary from brand and model, but most will have a volume, treble, mid, and bass controls. My Yamaha APX600's System 65 also has an AMF control mid frequency shift EQ slider, whilst the Fishman PreSys Blend I have in another acoustic differentially has a notch, phase and mic blend for its additional mic pickup.

If you go there, you'll want an amp. Buy an acoustic amp not a multi-FX one intended for electric guitar. For home, something like the Fender Acoustasonic 15 demoed above or Blackstar Fly 3 Acoustic are plenty. Purposed for acoustic, but they accept pedals well. Chorus, Reverb, Delay etc, althougth the Acoustasonic has its own onboard Chorus and XLR mic input. Most acoustic amps these days come with some onboard effects, the more you spend, like this NUX Stageman AC-50 the more fully featured they get. (hotlinked demo better than the one linked from NUX's product page IMO)