View post (Possible to become good at 40-plus?)

View thread

martintaylor2002
martintaylor2002
12/01/2020 2:45 pm
Originally Posted by: faith83I feel the need to jump in here and say that it's a myth that adult brains learn more slowlly than teenage brains. That's been disproven many times over by now.

Don't let all this stuff keep you from your aspirations. Everyone who ever did anything worthwhile did it in the face of a whole bunch of people telling them why it couldn't be done.

So I renew my advice: don't ask for permission. Just practice, get amazing, and prove the naysayers wrong.

[p]

You should practice, get amazing but you also need to be realistic that teenager has a much higher ceiling of improvement than adult.

The one thing that teenage has that someone at 40-plus does not is "time". Let say a 12 years old teenager and a 40 years old person both start playing guitar at the same time, and that both of them practice two hours everyday. Assuming that both of them have the same level of IQ, motivation and determination, who do you think will be a better guitar player after five years?

If you start playing guitar in your 40+, what is your probability of playing the guitar like John Mayer? I would say less than 0.1%.

If you start playing guitar at the age of 10, what is your probability of playing the guitar like John Mayer? I would say a lot higher that 0.1%.

Like I've said before, you can be "good" with your ability at 40-plus. You just can't compare yourself to someone who have been playing guitar since teenager and expect to be just as good as that person. That's my point.