View post (DAW overload/complexity confusion - which one?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
11/22/2020 1:04 am

Individual DAWs have been discussed here before, but seeking a wider considered if specific opinion/advice from those more experienced than me and currently using one regularly.

At a point where I need/want to use one more and more. I'm prepared to spend for quality practical software, but once (other than occasional version upgrades), and don't like to spend more than is necessary to meet my current and foreseeable needs. It doesn't have to be the most powerful or complex software. Rather practical, acceptably featured with a well thought through evolved ergonomic interface which isn't cumbersome or need to be constantly referring to its manual two years on to use. Compounding that, IME the learning curve to truly comfortable competency with any of them is considerable, so I'd prefer to pick just a chosen one meeting my criteria, and then stick with it.

So far I've tried the genuine freebies/cheapies, .e.g. Audacity & Reaper.

Traktion came inc. FOC with my Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD, but like the bundled and 'free' versions of PreSonus Studio One, they exist primarily to sell you their upgraded versions and/or expensive value added plugins. Looking at PreSonus Studio One, I liked it, but its featureset is limited without buying into a higher segment. I'm currently trying out NCH Wavepad, and have looked at IKM Amplitude which I haven't, yet. It receives positive accolade/feedback.

I quite liked the approach of PreSonus Studio One, but it's heavily segment price tiered and the Pro version is very expensive. Whilst it undoubtedly has all the bells and whistles, it reminds me of Photoshop with a zillion features I'd never need or use. I used to like Paintshop Pro when it was owned and developed by JASC before Corel bought and forever altered it. With this in mind, I'm currently looking at/investigating whether PreSonus Studio One Artist might meet my need. It's pricing is amenable.

Hence I'm interested to hear from those who've trodden this path before me, of your experience, opinion of comparatives you've tried, and what you use now having settled upon as your preferred DAW.

My use is home studio personal only. Most of my (Blackstar) amps and amp sim pedals can USB DI to Win10 PC & laptop, but I use TS DI or mic into my Behringer U-phoria UMC204HD interface USB'd to a Win 10 PC monitored through PreSonus Eris speakers most of the time.

Cheers & thanks in advance for any related experience, opinion, advice which might be forthcoming.