View post (Telecaster)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
11/21/2020 10:16 pm

Reading your prior posts, with considerations that you've been playing a while.

[br]Four points, two questions. 1. Can't go wrong with a conventional config Tele (my bias, see point 3 ..LOL) 2. What price point fits comfortably within your budget. 3. Consider bias. Who are you really buying for? Yourself, or to impress others. 4. Fit.

The first is already answered, as is the second really. Pertinent to it, don't permit potential relationship resentment with your significant other or buyer's remorse to be overridden by desire for headstock label status.

3. Bias, an irrational emotional drive different from considered preference, is something inherent in all of us all even if denied within the self. It's also the one most difficult to ignore as if you don't buy what you really desire if it's within your means, there will always be a nagging element of total satisfaction absent.

4. Fit. In my experience this is THE singular most important consideration in concert with means/budget. In Squier & Fender model choices alone, there are different neck profiles, fingerboard radii and materials before one gets to body and bridge/saddle considerations.

Now for my personal two bob's worth. From a [u]personal playing perspective[/u], I don't like Squier Classic Vibes and Fender Players [u]for their neck profiles[/u]. If you have ecto fingers or larger hands, they might be perfect for you?

I like a quality instrument too, but there's no need to spend megabucks on a Fender to get it unless perception of the name on the headstock is crucial to you. Fender USA? Not unless the spend is immaterial, you won't be content with anything else or your skills would challenge Hendrix.

Have a look at what these gals do with a cheapie Epiphone Les Paul Studio here, and cheapest Squier Bronco Bass here. It's not about the name on the headstock or price of the instrument. As you should know by now the build quality and component fitout of most instruments around the price point of the Squier Classic Vibe these days is well and truly of a component, finish and overall standard they won't be the weak link/limitation in any average player's playing. Until she was sponsored recently by Fender, this is the Fender Tele Helen Ibe played. Impossible to find fault with unless the neck profile/radius not an ergonomic personal fit.

Lastly, reference Teles, especially Fender and Squier this guy's channel is well worth spending some time on, although I expect you will have already paid him a visit?

And although it's preaching to the choir as you undoubtedly don't need convincing given your Tele remit/quest, Kris Barocsi who demos for Thomann among his other talents, is worth a watch here where he offers his perspective on the Tele.

Ultimately, it's your $$$$ to spend. All the best in finding that personal fit with you. Enjoy the search.

P.S. Here's mine, the choice determined by my bias. = ] Although mine is in the Blue Ice Metalic scheme. Three years on, still my favourite guitar of my eight electrics.