View post (usb microphone for hd webcam (beginner))

View thread

Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
10/25/2020 2:40 am

I am looking for some advice on the best way to record myself playing. I have been experimenting with what I have to work with and it's just not ideal. Now, I'm just a girl in a living room who wants to document her progress as a beginner guitar player. I'm not looking to record super polished performances to be submitted to something. I just want my guitar to sound like....a guitar! (I will be recording with my acoustic.)

I have a 1080 HD Webcam but the built in microphone is terrible for guitar and so is my built in laptop sound.

I have been recording with my Canon Rebel T7 but the sound (even after I play with it manually) just isn't too great. And this Rebel model does not allow for an external microphone.

I have an older iphone but that's hopeless for recording, too. It just doesn't sound good.

But the web cam itself is pretty good for what I need and I have the ability to record (and not just use it for streaming platforms) standalone videos. So after much research I have concluded the best option is to find a good (but budget) USB Microphone that I can use with the webcam and just change the sound settings on my laptop (Windows 10) so that it will use the USB Microphone and not webcam input for sound. I should be able to do that.

Do you have any recommendations for a very basic USB Microphone that can pick up an acoustic guitar pretty well and also be used with the webcam? Any help or additional thoughts would be great. Again, I just want to document my snail's pace journey with guitar and keep this fun.

Thank you for any help!

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor