View post (stuck on notation vs strum pattern)

View thread

Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
10/15/2020 2:06 pm

I am new to reading notation and using strumming patterns. I am using a D-DU-U-DU pattern. I can understand it when I am playing a measure with 4 quarter notes (as an example). But I don't understand when there is a note missing in the notation like in this photo of a 3 chord song I'm working on. In the "him belong" part....would I just play the first three parts of the strumming pattern (D-DU-U) and do a ghost move where there is no note? Does that make sense? I'm not sure if I'm explaining it correctly but hopefully you can tell from my image what I'm trying to understand. I didn't find it explained in any videos thus far. Also, in the second measure you see here on the bottom... on the "loves me" part...I would just play the D-DU? And not the rest? And then start back at the beginning of the strum pattern in the next measure?

Thank you in advance! I'm enjoying the learning process of switching chords, especially in a strumming pattern.

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor