View post (finger issues with pentatonic scale)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/08/2020 2:18 pm
Originally Posted by: tammielyn.tsi was looking for 'scale' videos to learn a bit and found one he was doing teaching 'know one guitar scale know them all'[/quote]

One easy trick to learn the whole guitar! :)

Originally Posted by: tammielyn.tsActually, with regards to the arthritis, it is mild and i have found playing the guitar has helped my fingers.[/quote]

That's great news! Regarding your wayward pinky, I think most problems with dexterity can be solved with focused & repetitious practice.

Originally Posted by: tammielyn.tsI am very interested in getting an electric guitar too and will purchase one, and the suggestion is great Christopher!

More great news! I hope your uncle helps you figure it all out.

[quote=tammielyn.ts]I am so new, and want to learn not just to 'play songs' but everything the guitar has to offer and what it's about and scales included in that. Do i know fully what playing scales will do for me in the world of guitar playing and music, not even close, so i can't answer your question the what are your goals with music in the context of wanting to learn scales.

Fair enough. I admire your enthusiam! Scales are used in many different musical contexts. They are absolutely fundamental to playing. But when I hear a beginner mention learning pentatonic boxes I wonder why. What's the plan, the goal? They are fun & can be useful, but it really helps to keep learning in order & in context.

[quote=tammielyn.ts]Any other tutorials on this site for beginner scales?

Lisa covers basic major & minor scales in GF2 (chapters 2 & 6 in particular). Have you worked through that yet?

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=fundamentals2

I have a series of lessons aimed at beginners learning scales in my older GF2.

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=fundamentals2(discontinued)

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory