View post (Adjusting Tempo)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/05/2020 11:53 am
Originally Posted by: jimk8882

The strum for this song is written where each measure is an eighth, sixteenth, sixteenth, eighth, eighth, sixteenth, sixteenth, eighth note.

If I set the metronome at 152 bpm (i.e, on each eighth note), then the first click is 1, 2nd click is 2 &, 3rd click is 3, 4th click is 4, 5th click is 5 &, and the 6th click is 6.

If I set the metronome at 76 bpm (i.e., clicks on the 1st, 3rd and 5th eighth note) then the count for the first click is 1, 2 &, for the 2nd click the count is 3, 4 and the 3rd click is 5 &6.

If I set the metronome at 52, (i.e., clicks on the 1st and 4th eighth notes), the the count for the first click is 1, 2 & 3, and for the 2nd click, it is 4, 5 & 6.

While 76 bpm and 52 bpm best match the time signature, it may be easier for a beginner to use 152 bpm to learn the strum. Thoughts?

You've got the right idea. All of them are valid ways to count because they are all technically correct. So it comes down to which one makes the most sense to any indvidual.

Have you tried it with all 3?

In my experience the 52 BPM works the best for most students. It gets you in the sway of the 6/8 rhythm & there are just enough clicks to keep your place without getting in the way. At 152 there are so many clicks it can overwhelm beginners & they get lost on which click is which. But if it works for you, then go for it!

Please let me know how it goes for you. Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory