View post (Adjusting Tempo)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
10/05/2020 1:50 am
Originally Posted by: jimk8882The song Lucky Man (Made Easy) is written in a 6/8 time signature. The music sheet shows that a quarter note equals 76 bpm.[/quote]

Right. 6/8 can be a little strange sometimes when it comes to tempo indications. I've seen it written 2 different ways

1. Quarter notes because that's how many people are used to counting & using a metronome. So you're counting it like a waltz: 1, 2, 3 for each measure. But since 6/8 means each beat is 2 eighth notes you set the metronome to click on 1/8th notes 1, 3 & 5.

2. Dotted quarter notes. This actually lines up with the groove better on some songs because you set the metronome to clock on 1 & 3. But it's not the easiest thing to get used to for some people because it's not straight 4 quarter notes!

[quote=jimk8882]The instructor on this song indicates that we should use a 6 count for each measure. This makes sense given the time signature. My question is do I set my metronome at 152 bpm, assuming I want to practice at full speed, since I am counting eighth notes which are 1/2 of a quarter note?

Set your metronome to 76 BPM if you want the metronome to click on 1/8th notes 1, 3 & 5.

The bold numbers are the click: 1 (2) 3 (4) 5 (6)

Set your metrnome to 52 BPM if you want the metronome to click on the dotted quarter notes 1 & 4. The idea here is 1/4 note BPM divided by 1.5 to get the dotted 1/4.

The bold numbers are the click: 1 (2 - 3) 4 (5 - 6)

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory