View post (G is for grrr)

View thread

Susan_Montgomery
Susan_Montgomery
09/30/2020 10:25 pm

I am having a really hard time with the G chord and wondered if there are any secrets to it if you just can't seem to stretch the third and fourth fingers out while keeping that second one on the fifth string. That string also gets muted my my third finger too. I am learning Fingerstyle, which I admit is advanced considering I'm still learning how to change chords smoothly and with some speed. But that's also why I can't use a "cheater G", I need my fingers exactly in the original G position. (I hope all that made sense.) I even have a finger exerciser glove that I use each day for a few minutes. I guess just keep at it and eventually it will come? I don't really want to get in the habit of only doing half of it as I need it, I'd rather do the full chord as my Fingerstyle book points out.

I am just a few months into playing guitar and I have skipped around a little bit, based on what interests me but I do really need to work on chords more than anything right now. I got so hooked on playing simple melodies that I just put that by the wayside for a bit.

Tonight I plan to find the lessons on chord changes and just start there with special attention to the G. Any other ideas or tips? Thanks!

“Often, what seems like an impossible climb is just a staircase without the steps drawn in.” Robert Brault, American Operatic Tenor