View post (Fender Player Telecaster review)

View thread

hunter.kane
hunter.kane
09/18/2020 9:01 pm
Originally Posted by: JeffS65
Originally Posted by: hunter.kane

I wish I could like this guitar, but I don't, it has many major intonation issues, the bridge pickup is poor in sound, it can't intonate properly, therefore it won't stay in tune for more than a whole song. The one good thing about the guitar is the neck pickup, the overall quality is unacceptable for the price. Buy with caution. Good luck with it if you want to buy it.

Below is my Player Tele 'Scotchy' (closest).

I have a substantially different experience than yours. Of all the guitars I have, this Player Tele maintains it's tuning the best of them all. No kidding. I never tune that one. The build quality was pretty much immaculate too. I mean, Fender isn't known to have quality control issues (I'm looking at you Gibson) so I am surprised that you're having issues.

I will say that after about a month and a half, I did a little setup/adjustment of the truss rod to my taste but that was about it. It moved with me from Chicago to the Atlanta area last December and stayed more in the case than out and played for a few months (lot's of things to do around the house), still plays like a star.

My point is; would having a pro go through it to do a proper setup help? I love playing my Tele and do play it often and given that I got a batch of nice guitars, that ain't no small potatos.

I learned I was wrapping strings wrong, but they string still break every week and it can't hold tune, also a new issue I ran into is when I bend the B string it pushes the G string off the nut slot, tried graphiting the nut as well and it did nothing to fix any of the issues I've had.

I know I could buy new tuners, and pickups but I really don't like this guitar enough to do that.