View post (left or right handed guitar)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
09/10/2020 9:34 pm

Although it'll be challenging initially, if it was me (I'm right handed) and I was learning initially with that encumbrance, I'd go with a left handed guitar and learn to play left handed. The missing digits won't be as critical on the picking/strummng hand as they will be to fretting chords, and particularly playing licks/notes.

Although he discarded the notion of changing and continued playing left handed (he was left handed) with his missing fingertips after the accident because he had already been playing guitar for three years which felt like a lifetime at the youthful age he then was, in his autobiography Tony Iommi said that in hindsight, he would have changed to relearn right handed had he known the difficulties he would subsequently encounter. Without foresight of course, of knowing the historical turn of events which was to occur regardless when their massive hit "Paranoid" presented Black Sabbath to the awareness of the world stage, which may not have had he taken time to relearn right handed.