View post (Acoustic vs Electric)

View thread

Rick Schmidt
Full Access
Rick Schmidt
Full Access
09/15/2020 10:38 am

Hi jimk8882.... I, too, started GT with my electric guitar; but a year into it realized that a lot of great guitar playing sounds better on an acoustic. I did my homework and bought my first acoustic and fell in love with the sound and feel. I play my electric much more rarely now, but in the beginning I'd play the acoustic until my fingers hurt too much and switched to the electric to keep practicing (lighter gauge strings mean less pain that those on an acoustic). Having both will give you much greater options, no doubt, and you'll not regret an acoustic being in your home. Be sure to keep it in the case and use a humidification tool like the Humidipak (Guitar Center and Amazon have these).

Reverb is a great place to shop for used gear; I caught GAS and bought three acoustics there this spring. You can get a good deal and it's fun to shop there. Others are right: you are probably best served by trying out differnt guitars/sizes in a phyical store; I've always been self-conscious about doing this since I consider myself relatively new, but I'm sure the store-folk don't care how I play.

Happy shopping.