View post (Pesky F(major) chord)

View thread

matonanjin2
matonanjin2
09/05/2020 4:03 pm

@emsm2, 90% of us (or more) got that rubbish sound 90% of the time (or more) when we started barre chords.

I haven't watched William's video on it but I'm sure it's helpful. I have seen him before, unselfishly, make these videos to encourage and help fellow learners. And, of course, Mike Olekshy's lesson on the topic undoubtedly is helpful.

But I think what you are going to find, especially with retrospection, is it just takes time. Don't get discouraged. You need to build finger strength to be able to press down sufficiently to get those first two strings to ring clearly.

I'm certainly not qualified to give advice. But that won't stop me. Don't make the mistake that I did and stay on barre chords too long. I worked on them for months; almost a year. My advice is get them "good enough" and move on. As you continue to work other things, which will occasionally include barre chords, they will improve as your finger strength increases.

good luck!

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45