View post (Keeping rhythm)

View thread

Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
Carl King
GuitarTricks Video Director
09/04/2020 4:46 pm
Originally Posted by: aorezechowski

I'm actually giving myself 30 day to try and see if I enjoy it. I suck at everything I do. After 30 day my subscription might get canceled and my guitar is going to a pawn shop

Hey Aorezechowski,

Sounds like perfectionism to me, which I totally identify with! I will often quit things I'm not immediately good at. I've always wanted to be an artist (drawing cartoons) but I believed I just didn't have the talent and never would. I would always say I SUCK. BUT, recently, after some serious and deliberate practice, just SLOWING DOWN and REALLY taking my time, I discovered I can actually do it! It's just a matter of learning methods and steps, and having patience.

So yeah, it sounds like you're being too impatient with yourself. And you certainly don't suck at everything. I have been pretty rough on myself too, throughout my life. Depression and anxiety are something I've had to learn to live with and fight through.

My best advice (and this applies to everything) is try to ENJOY IT rather than needing to be AWESOME within 3 days, haha. :) If you can find a way to enjoy the process every day, improving will take care of itself.

"Small strokes fell great oaks" -Benjamin Franklin

It's true!

-Carl.

Carl King[br]GuitarTricks Video Director / Producer