View post (Keeping rhythm)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
09/03/2020 1:33 pm
Originally Posted by: aorezechowski

I know I'm new to this but I can't seem to keep time with the video. Simple C and G video on Fundamentals 1 changing from from one to the other throws me off beat. Guess timing comes with practice. I've replayed that video 3 times my fingers get clumsy at the change.

The short answer is to slow it down. You can even slow the video down. Of the tools to any guitar player new or advanced, slowing and improving is one of the most powerful. If you first ride a bike, you are looking to race. Just keep stable. The same with guitar; it may seem frustrating that you have to slow down but all that means is that mechanisms in your brain that has to handle these multiple actions is asking for you to give it time to acquire that mental roadmap. You have the fretting hand that is moving three fingers to a different string configuration which is comprised of six strings, of which you are having to fret certain strings for each. Then, you are trying to do it in time and at speed.

I'm making it sound complex even though it actually feels easier than all that complication. The point of making it seem complicated to reinforce the point that all guitarist come to find; don't worry about speed. Build yourself up.

Good luck!