View post (1) Yamaha APX600, 2) FS800 or 3) Fender CD-60SCE?)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
08/13/2020 11:30 pm
Originally Posted by: Ossewa

I have done some research and it seems that one of the following will fit my needs: [br]1) Yamaha APX600, 2) FS800 / 820 / 830 or 3) Fender CD-60SCE.

[p][br]Given [u]your budget and remit[/u], either Yamaha's APX600 or one of their FS Series instruments should be a pleasure for you to play. My preference is merit based from hands on comparatives and personal experience with the instrument rather than any senseless brand driven bias.

Albeit proportional, I have smaller hands and fingers. I've owned and played my own APX600 since December 2017 and would buy the same again [u]if it was to be my only acoustic guitar[/u]. I currently own and play four different acoustics including a Concert sized full body and Dreadnought sized full body. That said, I'm predominantly electric focused, so when mandatory, an acoustic friendly to that electric to acoustic immediate transition works best for me. e.g."Kiss Me" It's superb for both playing chords including barre chords, individual note melody (outro & bridge in this particular song, but any solo) or finger picking.

Be aware the APX600 has the same body size, but numerous technical changes evolved from its predecessor the APX500III. Most prominent of these are tighter string spacing and reduced scale length, both great for smaller hands, not so good for sausage fingers. A tight 10mm in the APX600 vs 11mm in the APX500III.

[br]With the right strings, APX600 acoustic tone is good, and acoustic volume adequate for home or small venue. I like the absence of boom, preferring intrinsic treble to base characteristics. Brightness can be altered with string selection. But it's an e-acoustic, so amplified tone is an 'how long is a piece of string' variable. Bottom line. Yamaha's onboard System 65 pre-amp & SRT piezo pickup gets the job done.

The slim cutaway body and size of the APX600 is a perfect fit [u]for me[/u]. Might be for you. That's the aspect I dislike most about any Dreadnought whatever brand, whether it be Yamaha's F310, Fender's CD-60SCE.

Yamaha's APX600 is as suitable for the experienced player as it is for a beginner. Great unit, incredible value for money, a Yamaha instrument hallmark.

[br]All the best. GL with whichever brand or guitar you eventually decide to go with.