View post (finger pain...I'm a weenie I guess!)

View thread

faith83
Full Access
faith83
Full Access
08/07/2020 7:43 pm
Originally Posted by: DavesGuitarJourney

I'm certainly not suggesting that severe pain is ok. I'm thinking more like the pain anyone feels from sore muscles when you start a new exercise routine. If you start a new routine at the gym, your muscles will bark a little bit at first. However, you do have to pay attention and if that is severe then you may have an actual injury. That's all I'm saying with the expectation of some finger pain with guitar - especially acoustic. If your fingers are bleeding or blistered or the muscles in your fingers, wrist, forearm, etc. are cramping. that's not cool and it's not ok.

I've never tried wearing a glove on my fretting hand, but if it works I wouldn't discourage anyone from doing it.

I can get preachy about the importance of a playable setup for us beginners, so I have to be a fan of anything that makes playing easier and more fun.

Thanks for being a voice of reason and checking some of our macho instincts, Faith!

Well, I try to balance out some of the testosterone around here. ;-)

The trick to the glove is to get the smallest possible size so it fits as tightly as possible. It works great and it still builds calluses. I used it this go around, calluses and zero pain.

"I got this guitar and I learned how to make it talk."