View post (NEED HELP PICKING A GUITAR?)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
08/05/2020 4:49 pm
Originally Posted by: michaelepeters

I'd really like to learn how to play but I need to buy a guitar & all the equipment I need, can anyone recommend what I should get as a complete beginner and possibly an estimate of how much it would cost?

I'm not sure if I should do acoustic or electric so any advice on that would be really helpful too :)

Thank you in advance :)

The paradox of that question is; what do you have or want to spend. You can buy really cheap package deals that are terrible to play or you can spend a fortune on top of the line gear having never played before not knowing if you really are going to stick with it.

My assumption is that you aren't a millionaire so the answer is in the middle there somewhere.

It's also important to know what style of music you want to play. Are you in to mellow stuff? Maybe an acoustic. If you're more in to rock, you'll want an electric guitar and amp. So that's your starting point. Eventually what kind of music do you mostly hope to play? That's where you start. Note that if you're more likely to play rock of some sort, it's good to know that electric guitars are easier to play and is helpful for a beginner.

Then having understood that, what's your budget? I know I mentioned something about top of the line gear and unless you have money to burn, that's never a good idea as a beginner. So the middle ground of gear is a very big place. Lots of great options.

If you're going for an electric guitar and amp combo, it's better to spend more on the guitar and get something that plays really well. It's likely a cheap amp won't bring you much frustration like having a guitar that is difficult to play would.

My suggetion, if you have the budget, is to look at guitars on the $500 range. If you can, you tart to get some really good and playable guitars in that range.

So, with all that said; what type of music and what kind of budget?