View post (Newbies - How long does it take to learn....)

View thread

DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
08/06/2020 11:37 pm

Fantastic discussion here, and one of your better video posts, Bill.

The short answer to "how long does it take to learn..." is: it takes as long as it takes. I'm not being flippant or cute with that answer, that's really the answer.

You guys have seen me go through several spells of frustration because I'm not learning as fast as I want to. It is definitely harder than I expected it to be. I think I have finally gotten to the point where I accept the "as long as it takes" answer and I'm at peace with it.

I don't have the time, the energy, or the discipline to practice as regularly or with the degree of dedication that it would take for me to really accelerate my learning, so I'm not advancing rapidly. BUT, I still love the feel of the instrument in my hands, and the sounds that I can make with it. Little by little I AM getting better, and even if it is slow, it feels good.

I may not be learning guitar mastery quickly, but I am learning to enjoy the challenge and the journey. I was having a hard time with that at first. I may never be a really good guitar player, but I think I will probably enjoy playing at my own level every day, and that's a reward in itself.

So to the rest of you newbies, setting goals is very useful, but don't forget the most important goal of all - find some joy in the journey.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.