View post (String gauge vs distance/travel to a correct pitch)

View thread

tgchan
Full Access
tgchan
Full Access
07/28/2020 12:04 pm

Hello people,[br][br]

(same post but in an open forum so more eyes can see it and more experience can be shared)

String gauge, guitar scale (fender/gibson). I have tested 10, 9 and 8 gauge strings and travel distance in order to achieve correct pitch (half bend/full whole step bend) the travel/distance looks exactly the same or it is very similar and I can't really tell it apart.

[br]Some people say the lighter the strings the more you have to bend to get the same pitch = false* (from my brief tests)

[br]Some people say that shorter scale guitars (e.g. gibson sg) achieve the same pitch with less bending (half step/full step bend) = * false again...

[br]Different strings, scales it all resulted in identical or almost identical results. I have to bend the string the same travel/distance in order to get the correct pitch of a half step or full step.

but again... I have been half bending for almost 3 years thinking I was doing a whole step bends... so yea... (kind of sounded okay-ish and I didn't know you have to push the string so ridicilously far to get a whole step bend)

[br]Tested 3 different guitars with different scales/strings THIS TIME... with my tuner and reference notes E( B string freted on the5th ) vs E( G string freted on the 7th & bent to a whole stop)

They all needed same/very similar travel distance of a string to get it to a desired pitch.

[br]It would be nice if someone more experienced and knowledgeable could speak out on this matter/test it on their own and share the results/

I have also found this:

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0102088

Can't get any straight answer from it though lol... way to smart for me...