William MG
Full Access
William MG
Full Access
06/29/2020 1:38 am
Originally Posted by: mathieurevel
Originally Posted by: William MG

Hi and welcome,

That guitar looks like a beauty. You can play any style on any guitar, 6 strings and practice are really the most important things. If that guitar is the one that tickles your fancy it would be a great guitar for you. Seems like it's well made and affordable. Personally, I don't think there is a "perfect" guitar, which is likely why so many of us have so many guitars. Any excuse at all is always a good reason to guitar shop 😁

I am sure if you continue your studies you may also find yourself with a few "necessary" guitars. It's all part of the fun. Enjoy yourself shopping.

I use a Roland Micro Cube in my office but there are many similar low wattage amps available. These, usually,can take batteries which gives great portability, have various tones from clean to distortion, can allow aux

plugins. The practice amp that seems to be getting all the headlines these days is the "Spark". I don't have one so can't comment on it, but the reviews are quite convincing.

Looper pedals are great. Very helpful for practice. Things you may want to consider: can you over dub. This means lay down one layer of guitar, say a chord progression, then layer on top of it a solo and then can you continue to layer? It may not sound useful right now, but overdubbing allows great creativity. I don't find the length of recording that important, my layers are usually just a few bars. Some pedals will have built in rhythms which is very nice. But may not be attainable right now depending on your budget. I also like having a Looper that takes an external power supply.

I am a big fan of used gear. I would not shy away from it providing you can test it out. Several of my pedals are Boss, a great name, and purchased used. The used market is normally about 1/2 regular retail.

Good luck and have fun shopping!

Great tips thanks ! 2nd hand all the way I agree :) The Roland Micro cube is what i was aiming for, which one you have ? i saw the GX has a clean channel and reverb/delay, the others like the 15X dont have this option by the look of it but mayve i m wrong, I saw some 2nd hand one https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-details.html?adId=1250884164

''This means lay down one layer of guitar, say a chord progression, then layer on top of it a solo and then can you continue to layer? '' Isnt lopping achieving the same thing ? You play and record some chords, then you play some solo on top ?

This is mine

https://www.long-mcquade.com/53974/Guitars/Guitar_Amps/Roland/CUBE_Series_3W_Guitar_Amplifier_-_Black.htm

I paid $80 for it used in mint condition.

Looping is repeating something recorded. Over dubbing is recording something else on top of a previous recording.

I saw your post on low cost vs expensive guitars. Sounds like you watched some Anderton videos. Those are great. I don't know what it's like to play a guitar that costs several thousand of dollars. My guitars range from $80 to $1100. The $80 guitar is an Epiphone Les Paul Jr - purchased at a pawn shop, and the $1100 guitar is a Godin Session purchased new. I play the Epi more than any because it's at the office and that's where I practice. Both guitars play and sound great to me.

Good luck.

This year the diet is definitely gonna stick!