View post (Alternate Fingerings/Voicings)

View thread

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
06/13/2020 4:14 pm

Thanks a bunch Chris and Carl. The best advice is specific and practical. You guys deliver.

FWIW, I have found the moveable (barred) E7 form, without the pinky on the B string, and the moveable C7 form to be the most comfortable and pleasing dom7 chords for me. Although I often am not so fond of the high-E string (except for single note melodies), I do love the simple (w/o the D string bass note) moveable D-shape. It's easy to add vibrato to the whole chord which, to my ear, often sounds nice (I think but am not sure that it interacts with movement from my floating vibrato bar in a curious way). I wish I liked the moveable A form more. I can play it OK but it usually feels a bit more awkward than the others...like it takes a bit longer to get into the position and requires more conscious intentionality for me to play it accurately. Typing this now, I'm thinking that I want to compare the barred version I usually play (the one using fingers 2 and 3) with the version where you play the 7th with your pinky on the high E string.

Take Care