View post (New to Music - a stranger in a strange land)

View thread

DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
06/12/2020 2:38 am
Originally Posted by: TwoHoot

@ Toby

IMO, Kristofferson was mainly a song writer rather than a musician or vocalist.

The best CD is probably "Me and Bobby McGee" or "The Silver Tongued Devil and I". Other tracks worth listening to are:

Sunday Morning Comin Down

Help me make it through the night

The Law is for protection of the people (Could be written today)

Darby's Castle

The Pilgrim

To Beat the Devil

Much later, he made some good music with Rita Coolidge like Slow Down, I'd Rather be sorry

Kristofferson is definitely a better songwriter than he is a performer, but I still do like his gruff voice. He is just good enough that I could maybe sound alright singing one of his songs (if that makes any sense at all). [br][br]

Toby, if we're just talking about guitar players he is nothing to get excited about but for a few years in the early 70s he was a pretty influential singer/songwriter/actor that had a lot to do with the blending of country and light rock that was big at the time.[br][br]

Sunday Morning Coming Down is a really good song that captures the essence of a certain kind of pain and loneliness. He really paints clear images with his words on that one.

Why Me, Lord is another good one. Maybe a bit more religious than I would normally like, but it's still very relatable and his singing on that is really sincere.

Me and Bobby McGee is probably his most recognizable song but most people know the Janis Joplin version better. Really a lot of people wouldn't know that Kristofferson wrote it, would just assume it was Janis' song.[br][br]

Kris has had an interesting life. Rhodes Scholar, helicopter pilot in the army, started his music career as a janitor in a recording studio in Nashville where he introduced himself to Johnny Cash, and the rest (as they say) is history.

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.