View post (Singing and playing simultaneously?)

View thread

theMolster
theMolster
06/04/2020 1:12 pm

Hi Magnus,

I agree with the comment from William and it is very tough yep. I have been playing a bit over 18 months now and am having my own nightmares with certain things but am doing my best to overcome these.

The singing and playing can seem almost impossible and the way I found around it (after reading and watching a lot of youtube) was to break each line or couple of lines down. You have to be able to more or less play the song without thinking about it and also know the lyrics which I believe you should do separately so you don't have to concentrate on lots of stuff at once.

So, at the moment I'm writing a song and the first two lines are:[br][br]

Look at the shooting stars shooting overheard,

Watch as the angel dust trails in the moonlight...

(not even sure what key (uses E, A, C, B) it's in but it sounds ok to my ear when played a certain way and anyway, whose to say that you need to stick to a key!)

So I take those first two lines and make sure I can play them very easily and seperately I make sure i know the words without worry. Then, as William says, very slowly work on them together. And so on....

I'm also using this method to learn Scarborough Fair and although my voice sounds like a cat with a sort throat that is being dragged through a prickly bush, at least I'm getting to the stage where I'm getting the hang of it. I did once read that it can take a couple of years to get the hang of it but around 10 before it sounds good (!) but I hope that is not the complete truth.

Just keep going and I hope you make it and wish you the best of luck!

theMolster