View post (Strumming nightmares - sound advice welcome/needed)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
05/26/2020 8:49 pm
Originally Posted by: theMolster

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to thank you all for some sound advice and support. I've read everything through, noted some of the tips and will now start from the beginning and try to get to grips with this.

Really appreciate your feedback and I hope this is the start of me being able to strum in an at least, a half decent way. Funny really because I assumed strumming would be second nature but as with most things in life, it seems it needs a bit (or in my case a lot) of graft.

Cheers,

theMolster

Chris had mentioned that there might be an issue of digging in to far. I wouldn't want this point to be lost. Keep in mind that you don't need the whole of the pick to strike the string. My wife started learning guitar recently and she was exposing way too much of the pick. I pointed out to heer that the reason a pick has a broad and pounty end is that; most of the pick is meant to be within your thumb/finger. It's why it's the chubby end, so you can hold it.

You also don't need a whole lotta pick to strike the strings in a strum. In your explanations, you talked about inconsistency. It sounds like the way you might be holding the pick makes it hard to 'aim at the strings. While you may not want the tiniest, tiniest miscroscopic amount of the pick sticking out, you don't need a ton either and finding the right amount of pick exposure will help you control a strum (versus feeling like your thrashing at the strings).

Mess around with strums exposing various amounts of the pick. Also, rewatch the video on how to hold a pick too.

Last thing; strum slowly. I'll repeat >>> strum slowly. Slow = Control. Build up to speed. We all want to play a song at speed but in reality that never works out.

That's my group of tips to add the to discussion. Hope all this info helps from all here.