View post (Strumming nightmares - sound advice welcome/needed)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/22/2020 2:34 pm
Originally Posted by: theMolster

On the advice of one of the instructors on the site I started to try strumming with a pick again and quickly realised why I stopped in the first place. Bear in mind, I'm not a complete beginner and I did put a lot of effort into using a pick for a fair amount of time but it never felt comfortable. And I have also put a lot of effort in the last few weeks - everyday, multiple practice sessions with strumming.[/quote]

First, I'm sorry for your frustrations. It sounds like you need to practice using a much lighter & more precise technique.

Addressing specific issues.

Originally Posted by: theMolsterVery uneven sound due to hitting strings lighter or heavier (inconsistent)[/quote]

Find a place to solidly plant your strumming arm on the guitar. Make your strumming motion a very small, controlled pass over the strings. Tilt the pick so you can lightly graze over the strings. DO NOT DIG IN.

Originally Posted by: theMolsterMissing strings completely on both down and up strokes

This is a matter of making your strumming arc as small & precise as necessary. Go very slowly & with small motions.

[quote=theMolster]Upstroke sounds consistently bad and feels alien

Practice upstrokes exclusively for a whole practice session. Tilt the pick so you can lightly graze over the strings.

[quote=theMolster]Pick get caught in the strings

The top e rings out so highly and annoying on the upstroke that I feel like cutting it with a wire cutter

[p]This is usually the result of not tilting the pick and digging in too far. You want to tilt or angle the pick so you can lightly graze over the strings. And you want to use just the tip of the pick to barely graze the string. The more you dig in, the deeper your pick goes below the plane of the strings, the more often you are going to get it caught in the strings.

You've probably heard this already, but the only way to learn & improve is repetitious practice using the right technique. It takes some people longer than others, but the same thing has to happen in all cases. You have to repeat the motions correctly until they become second nature.

Take your time. Be patient with yourself. Slow down & deliberately practice strumming with the correct technique until you can do it right. Going too fast & repeating bad technique is only going to make it take longer to get it right. And cause you more frustration in the process!

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory