View post (Changing chords in arpeggios - acoustic)

View thread

blazejp0
blazejp0
05/21/2020 5:23 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding changing chords while playing arpeggios on an acoustic guitar. I can't get it sound right.

If I play an open string at the end of the arpeggio so I have time to change the chord, it sounds weird and out of place. What's more, the open string quickly stops ringing once I form the next chord if it uses the same string as the previous chord.. so it sounds even weirder. This method works well when I fingerpick, perhaps because the sound is much softer when I use my fingers. It's louder and more pronounced when I play arpeggios with my pick so it stands out more.

Even though I'm fairly smooth in changing chords, if I try to play all strings in a chord and then quickly change to next chord, the last string sounds kind of muted because I play it while already lifting my fingers for the next chord. So it doesn't sound right either.

Am I supposed to ignore this and play the open strings at the time of changing chords and expect to become better with time as I develop more left-right hand coordination or is there some method not mentioned in the course?