View post (Theory / guitar courses vs songs)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/19/2020 2:58 am
Originally Posted by: Jake_22I was just a bit annoyed at learning notes on tab by heart and not understanding why it all fits together so well, the underlying theory.[/quote]

Okay, fair enough. But you are only 6 months in. And it sounds like you are learning & enjoying it. I think it might be beneficial for you to take a step back & work through my older GF 2 course that provides a thorough grounding in basic theory.

https://www.guitartricks.com/course.php?input=fundamentals2(discontinued)

Have a look at Chapters 1 & 3. That will fill in some of what you seem to be missing conceptually.

Originally Posted by: Jake_22So, And wondered if I'd learn the songs faster if I understood how they're made. And you answered yes to that ! I'm taking a deep dive on theory !

Right, but remember it's not necessarily going to make acquiring the physical skills faster. :)[br][br]

[quote=Jake_22]And thanks for giving me a feedback regarding the time I take to learn songs, I thought I had some serious problems with this awful ratio of something like 3 hours of practice that amounted to only 10 seconds of the actual song. Glad to know I'm not terribly behind and that this is normal. Since I have no one to compare me, I didn't know how I was doing.

Sure! But, even if you were taking a longer than average time, why worry about it? Enjoy the process!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory