View post (Thumb or fingers for practicing scales)

View thread

theMolster
theMolster
05/11/2020 2:39 pm

Hi there,

I joined the site a couple of weeks ago because I've been learning from YouTube and was going in all sorts of different directions with no idea really. So, I'm hoping that GuitarTricks might help me change that. I can play the open chords, barre chords (just about), some basic fingerpicking, some songs etc. and I'm working on improving the basics due to bad habits so am going through guitar fundamentals 2 at the mo.

The one thing I do know is that I'm really uncomfortable using a plectrum so would like to concentrate using my fingers only (at least for the present time). I know there are many schools of thought on whether or not this is OK but for me, at the moment, this suits what I want. I also like the slightly more muffled sound you get when using fingers for strumming.

I'm working my way through the major scale stuff in fundamentals 2 and I would like to know, when playing and practicing scales, should I use my thumb on my right hand to pluck (pick) all 6 strings, or as with the fingerpicking I learnt so far, use 'assigned' fingers for the top 3 strings. I find it easier with my thumb and like the sound more but don't want to get used to playing the wrong way. I hope my question is clear.

Thanks in advance,

theMolster