View post (Don't understand this tablature sign)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
05/19/2020 2:49 am
Originally Posted by: Jake_22I'm still a beginner but I'd like to play things like ...[/quote]

All of that is very rock guitar centered. So tab is a necessity & notation a bonus. The most important thing will be to acquire the physical skills to do those things.

[br]

Originally Posted by: Jake_22I don't plan on doing music academically, nor professionnaly (for now) but I'd like to eventually have a band and play in bars and for friends, and stuff like that.[/quote][p]Having a band & playing the songs you listed above is essentially building a repertoire. Start learning the basic structure of those songs as soon as possible. You don't have to learn every last lick in the song to start getting the basic chord progressions & song form in your mind & fingers.

[quote=Jake_22]So my question was If music notation was more confusing than tabs since music notation doesn't tell you which of the multiple possible spots for one note you should play ? Whereas the tabs actually tell you the specific spot.

Both. It's not either-or. The guitar requires both because tab shows you the location & peculiar articulations of guitar, while notation has the rhythms & traditional universal structure of music.

You'll notice that GT songs (& most tutorials beyond the absolute beginner levels) include both!

[quote=Jake_22]Also, is it faster to sight read with music notation or tabs ?

If I understand what you are asking, then, again it's both. I know it will take extra time to learn both. But just add it to your daily list of things to slowly practice, work through & learn.

You don't have to learn to be an expert at music notation tomorrow or this week. And tab is great but will only get you so far when you are trying to learn music. For example, traditional music notation contains the key signature & notes to immediately grasp the intervals, scales & chords involved.

And to a degree it depends on the musical context. I've encountered situations in which the notation makes it a breeze to understand what's going on, and other situations that the tab makes it easier. But in the end, they both help me to understand how the music is supposed to sound.

I hope that makes sense!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory