View post (Don't understand this tablature sign)

View thread

Jake_22
Jake_22
05/18/2020 10:22 pm
Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

So the arc indicates that there is legato. But the slide already indicates that. This is a result of trying to combine the established traditions of music notation to the peculiar & often idiosyncratic nature of tab for guitar. :)[/quote][p]Exactly what I thought !

Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegel

So you play & bend the string once at the downbeat of 1 on m. 34. Then you play the note again on beat 2. Then you play that note one more time on the upbeat (the "and") of beat 2 & gradually bend it until the end of m. 35 beat 1.

As I've noted the only reason for drawing 2 arcs is to indicate the location of beat 3 to keep time.[/quote] Crystal clear. Thanks.

Originally Posted by: ChristopherSchlegelIf you are planning on doing music academically or professionally, then without a doubt, yes, start learning & reading music regularly. Otherwise, it depends on what your goals are.

I'm still a beginner but I'd like to play things like the solo to Sweet Child O mine by Guns'n'roses, Matchbox Blues by Albert King, Solo to comfortably Numb, SOme Jimi Hendrix like Little Wing and All ALong the watchtower, a LOT of Pink Floyd (Echoes, Time, High Hopes, etc.) So mostly blues and rock and mainly lead guitar (solos). But maybe my interests will expand with time and experience ![br][br]I don't plan on doing music academically, nor professionnaly (for now) but I'd like to eventually have a band and play in bars and for friends, and stuff like that.[br][br]

[quote=ChristopherSchlegel][quote=Jake_22]I started following your music theory group of lessons here, and I learned that the same notes can be played in different strings ! Which is not the case in piano so I'm thinking it'd already be cnfusing figuring out at which place to choose the play a given on a sheet of music, meanwhile in the tabs, it's pretty clear.

Yes, welcome to the confusing nature of the guitar! :)

I hope you enjoy my theory lessons. Please ask more if necessary!

So my question was If music notation was more confusing than tabs since music notation doesn't tell you which of the multiple possible spots for one note you should play ? Whereas the tabs actually tell you the specific spot.

Also, is it faster to sight read with music notation or tabs ?[br][br]Thank you