View post (Beginner Difficulties)

View thread

mjgodin
mjgodin
04/24/2020 9:11 pm

Hello and welcome,

I am a beginner as well, as there are many on here so I'll pass along the wisdom that has been given to me from the better players and instructors.

A $200 guitar is more than adequate for learning. What exactly is it that is fustrating? Is it comfort or sound? If it's comfort than yeah I can see where size or shape could hinder your playing, so get something that is comfortable for you. That means try as many as you can, but if it's sound then just a good set of light gauge strings and maybe a guitar setup is all you need. Do you have a tuner? Get one or download ones off app stores. I use one called Pano Tuner. It's free and it works just fine for my needs.

So unless your playing something that just doesn't fit you I would wait. For two reasons.

1. Your only learning so don't worry about tone so much. Your just trying to get those fingers moving and in shape to learn notes and chords shapes.

2. Not sure what part of the world your in, but most music stores are closed due to the pandemic so trying out guitars is kind of out of the question right now. I would wait this out and in mean time keep learning and practicing. As you gain more experience you'll know what appeals to you.

Moe