View post (Do clean amp tones come in different flavors?)

View thread

DavesGuitarJourney
DavesGuitarJourney
04/13/2020 11:40 pm
Originally Posted by: dlwalke Unfortuneately, and I don't know if this is my old ears or the fact that I am listening through small headphones or what, but on these and other videos that compare this and that, I often can't hear any difference even though I do see other's comments expressing strong opinions about pickup A, for example, being much brighter or whatever than pickup B.

Same here. For me I have a minor hearing impairment (which doesn't seem to get better as I grow deeper into middle age) so I usually can't tell much of a difference in video reviews. Even in the cases where I can hear the difference I usually could not say one is better than another after watching someone play the different guitars/amps/fx pedals/etc for a few minutes on youTube . Maybe if I had a lot of experience with listening for certain things it would be a little different but I don't know enough to know what sounds good really. Plus, the dudes (almost always) doing the demos are usually good enough to make just about anything sound good!

It takes as long as it takes unless you quit - then it takes forever and you will never get there.