View post (Who do you want to see before it is too late?)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
04/04/2020 5:46 pm

I learned my lesson a couple years ago... I thought.

I passed on B.B.King because he brought a tour of a couple dozen artists to play an outdoor venue in Missoula, one without seating. 'Geez,' I thought, 'it'll be 1 a.m. before he gets on stage and I'll still have an half-hour drive to get home.' Nope. I found out a week later he was first up. That was my last chance, he's gone.

Next was Dick Dale, my first guitar hero. For ten or fifteen years he lived just an eight hour drive from me. He gigged occasionally 'to pay medical bills' but I never made the trip. He's gone.

Before I settled and built a home, Bonnie Raitt did Missoula maybe three years in a row. She hasn't been back.

Johnny Winter was here twice. Each time I passed, the second time 'wasn't convenient.' He's gone now, too, but I have a guitar that he noodled with backstage during that last visit to Missoula. That's something, I guess.

Now, after at least three visits, Brandi Carlile is back for Memorial Day. Finally, I have tickets...good seats... but I don't think there's a good chance of the concert being played, i.e., quarantine, social isolation, etc.. I'll probably donate the tickets back to a fund established by the promoter to help keep his workers (four venues and a bar&grill) solvent during these times.

I still dream of making it to Chicago to hear Buddy Guy ('cause I skipped the festival he was at in eastern Montana ) and I really wanted to see Dion do his blues stuff but I don't think he does that anymore... at least not west of the Mississippi.

I keep promising myself... I won't skip anyone again...

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins