View post (Who out here has and uses modeling amps)

View thread

JeffS65
JeffS65
02/26/2021 8:52 pm
Originally Posted by: snojones

I have used headphones on my amp for practice reasons for years. However as of late I am working on tone and it seems to me the sound in the headphones if good but diffrent from what I hear in a room with my modeling amp cranked up. It seems to me that for this purpose the full room sound is what I need to master the subtleties of tone. Maybe it is my hearing going out or maybe it is just the sound of one hemisphere farting.... Anyway, anybody out there have a similar experience?

I've been a tone junky since the get go and I've told the story of the guitar store I hung out at (annoyed, to be accurate) would have me try new amps just to see what I could get out of them. I recall one guy saying that I'd get tone out of a 'tin can and a fart'. So take that for what it's worth.

The point here is that, yep, to really dial in that sweet tone, it does require a room and the actual physical movement of the speaker pushing air in to that room. Impulse Responses and the like have done much to emulate a speaker and do a fine job. However, if I'm going for a tone that carries impact, moving air in a room can't be beat.

Still, I often practice with my headphones plugged in to my Mac and connected to the Positive Grid Bias FX2 app and I'm perfectly happy with that.