View post (Semi Hollow Body Decision - Advice Please)

View thread

manXcat
manXcat
02/26/2020 5:52 am

First, congratulations upon kicking off year two.

I'm not an ES owner or player, yet, and think if/when I do, it'll be a 339 or Cort clone rather than 335 in any case, so I won't proffer opinion on them other than to say if that largish Epiphone e-acoustic body sits comfortably with you, then a 335 probably will too. If not, try one for fit first.

Re Wilkinson and Grover machine heads. I have and like both. Not those particular units, but sufficient experience of different ratios and their products fitted to my guitars to comment. Between those two choices, they'll be different aesthetically. Korean manufactured Wilkinson tuner operation, BQ and finish is right up there with Grover IME. If I had to choose on ratio and function, personally I'd go with 1:18 and Rotomatic. BQ wise, nothing between those brands. Choice is preference of aesthetic, ratio and function.

On caution. Healthy caution is wise, but determine your purpose and evaluate the instrument as a whole without turning the exercise into a spec list of the sum of its parts. Test the depth, dive into the water, paddle like your life depended on it and you'll be swimming like you already knew how to out of the womb.