View post (Can reach improve with time (for older players)?)

View thread

john of MT
Full Access
john of MT
Full Access
02/05/2020 11:49 pm

I returned to guitar when I was in my early 60's after a nearly 35-year break from playing. Needless to say, any skills I had were long gone and any physical capabilities, e.g., stretch/reach, left with the playing skills. About the best I had was memory, as in, 'I remember when I could do that...' See it here, https://www.justinguitar.com/guitar-lessons/finger-stretching-exercise-te-101 Over time, my strecth improved about one and a half frets. To measure it another way, I initially couldn't do the exercise below a fifth fret start but ultimately could do it all from the first position/fret.

It's a great exercise that not only works on stretch but also helps dexterity a little and serves as a great warmup for practice sessions.

Speaking of warmups... those too are important in helping with reach, strength, endurance, 'chord shapes', etc..

Improvement might be slower for older players but it is not stopped simply because the calendar pages turn.

Good luck, have fun.

[br][br]

"It takes a lot of devotion and work, or maybe I should say play, because if you love it, that's what it amounts to. I haven't found any shortcuts, and I've been looking for a long time."
-- Chet Atkins