View post (Q re action & string to fretboard distance & frets)

View thread

ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
ChristopherSchlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor
02/05/2020 12:34 pm

Congrats on a new guitar!

Originally Posted by: dlwalkeI do find however that I get buzz on the bassier strings at the first half dozen or so frets and that the fretboard is so much closer to the strings than I am used to on my acoustic that it, at a minimum, will take some getting used to.[/quote]

Everything you say is true. Heavier strings might help, adjusting the bridge or neck might help. Or it might be an acceptable amount of buzz from the typically lower action on an electric.

One thing you didn't mention was the nut. It's possible that the nut was cut a bit too low. That's more of a tech problem to fix. And it couldn't hurt to have a local pro go over it. Just take it to the music store & and ask.

Originally Posted by: dlwalkeI think I have gotten accustomed to holding the pick such that the pointy part extends a bit from my fingers. As such, on the electric with the considerably shorter distance between the top of the frets and the fretboard, I am frequently hitting the fretboard with my pick, almost stabbing it one might say.[/quote]

Typically techniques used playing electric require a little more precise movements & motions. Also it helps to rest your palm on the bass side of the bridge. That will keep your pick from digging into the fretboard. My biggest problem is staying away from the middle pickup on my strat when I dig in too much! :)[br][quote=dlwalke]Perhaps I will naturally adapt and start holding the pick closer in.

[p]Sounds like a good idea to pursue. You might want to make that an intentional process sooner rather than later!

[quote=dlwalke]I have wondered though if I might someday want to explore narrow tall frets rather than the seemingly more ubiquitious medium jumbo (which is on my new guitar), as a way to increase the distance between the top of the fret and the fretboard. Does that seem reasonable?

I'm not sure how this is going to help. As long as the action stays the same, then the top of the fret is the same distance from the string no matter how wide the fret is. And I think this is more an issue of picking/strumming technique.

Also you might want to post these concerns in the GT guitar tech forum!

https://www.guitartricks.com/forum/threads.php?f=30

Hope that helps!

Christopher Schlegel
Guitar Tricks Instructor

Christopher Schlegel Lesson Directory