View post (Dumb (naive) question probably about DAWs)

View thread

matonanjin2
matonanjin2
12/14/2019 3:58 pm
Originally Posted by: dlwalke

Again, I know next to nothing about DAWs.

Dave

Dave, if you want to go down the rabbit hole of DAW's and home recording I found this to be a very good guide, Home Recording for Beginners. It helped me a lot. It starts you on a 30 day project of a recording session and provides you all the raw files to work with. Day one you load the software and set up your system, one of the first few days you do some recording. In there you do some retakes and finally on day 30 you render all the files to a finished audio files.

In the project you have the choice of using the sample files or you can do some recording and use your own files.

The book is not cheap, a $50 investment, but I think worth it.

It uses Reaper for the DAW and comes with a trial of it. @fuzzb0x said that Reaper comes with a 30 fee trial but I actually think that is 90 days. It used to be 90; I've had it a long time and maybe they have changed it. But it gives you a lot of time to try it to decide if recording is for you and if Reaper will be your DAW. There are lots of training videos on their site and a really helpful forum.

Good luck in your venture into recording.

[u]Guitars:[/u] 2014 PRS Santana, 2013 PRS Paul's, 2009 PRS Hollowbody, 1972 Gibson ES-325, 2012 Fender Strat American Standard, 2012 Yamaha Pacifica, Martin M-36, Martin 000-15M, Seagull S6 Classic[br][u]Amps:[/u] Fender Blues Junior III, Boss Eband JS-10, Line 6 POD 500X, Quilter Microblock 45