View post (Dumb (naive) question probably about DAWs)

View thread

dlwalke
Full Access
dlwalke
Full Access
12/11/2019 4:10 am

So I'm coming back to guitar after a 35 year or so respite. Taking lessons here at GT and enjoying myself. I was just visiting the Brian May Guitar website and see that they have added a new product called AmpliTube that is suppose to model BM's guitar tone. I guess this has something to do with DAWs but I am really ignorant about all that. The description says "a brand new signature collection of amps, speaker cabinets, pedals and signal processors meticulously modeled after the actual equipment used by the legendary guitarist and available NOW in a stunningly designed Mac and PC compatible desktop app and plug-in for your DAW."

Again, I know next to nothing about DAWs. There is a video on the site showing someone playing a guitar demonstrating different Brian May sounds with this software. I thought though that this type of software was just used in recording rather than actual playing. Am I wrong? With this software (and whatever associated hardware I would need) would I be able to play my guitar and have it sound like this (minus the good guitar skills) in real time? Does it also function sort of like a pedal where I could send my guitar signal through this and then into an amp?

Thanks for your insights,

Dave