Best acoustic 12 string??

12stringking
12stringking
03/04/2023 12:04 pm

Hi, late in the day, and I guess you may have got yourself a 12 by now. And might befinding one just isn't enough.... I have three and could do with at least a couple more! I've owned Fender dreads, an Eko Navajo - very jangly and a bit thin - a Breedlove for a few years - again, a bit thin and **** Chinese construction, big disappointment for a £600+ guitar. Now have a Vintage Paul Brett parlour, which is an easy ride, warm tone, but not much volume due to being quite small. Also recently bought an Ashton SL; they're only £250 new, but this was a steal off FB at 30 quid! Had to do a fair bit - saddle, nut, stone and redress top 8 frets to get rid of bad choking - but it now plays real easy, even with a .010 gauge set (I usually use the lightest I can get, .009s, and tune to concert pitch), and has a fantastic big warm sound with loads of volume - a real surprise for a Chinese cheapie! But the star of the lineup is a Gretsch Dorado I bought last year, flattop with trapeze tail, fixed bridge and slot head, 000 size, spruce top. They were made for Gretsch in Japan between about 70 - 73, and most went to the States but a few came over here (UK). Build quality is superb, and the sound, even with ultra light strings, is huge and rich from top to bottom. Superb either fingerpicked or driven with a plec, my next move is get a Fishman sonicore installed so I can gig it. Would strongly recommend  you try and find one on e-bay...

# 21
mdvaden
Full Access
mdvaden
Full Access
03/17/2023 5:32 am

I started from scratch June 2022 and liked the sound of 12 string, but opted for 6 to start. But I researched 12 string a lot, including electric. It seemed the best for the money for me was Reverend Airwave w/ roasted maple neck and locking tuners. Runner-up was Godin A12 which is actually a thin acoustic but sounds incredible. I opted for the Reverend because it's mostly an electric guitar and I already started with an all wood acoustic Teton STS205CENT 6 string.

The Teton was very satisfying and because I bought a Reverend Airsonic electric 6 string, I sold the Reverend Airwave and bought an acoustic Teton 12 string. After months of tinkering, I realized I was reaching most for my acoustics because I like that kind of sound most.  It's worth adding that there was a Martin 12 string used in the store when I was shopping acoustic 12 strings. I played the Teton 12 string immediately following and to my ear I liked the Teton more than the Martin that was over $2000

Anyhow, a couple 12's worth investigating are the Godin A12 and Teton.

Also, I think the wood comparison videos on Youtube are worth watching. Several of them. Initially I liked Cedar top and in time spruce started to grow on me. I've got both, but am aware one projects more than the other.

If someone gets acoustic with pickup, the amp can close the gap somewhat.

Also, speaking of amps, I bought an Ampeg BASS amp to keep around for friends who may play bass. And as soon as I started playing my acoustic through it, that's my favorite acoustic amp right now. I also have a Blackstar Sonnet 60 that's a keeper.

Cheers, M. D. Vaden in Oregon

edited
# 22

Please register with a free account to post on the forum.